You can build an online store in one of two ways: by using an ecommerce website builder or by hiring a web development firm. The approach you select will have a significant impact on the price of your online business.
The most affordable approach to create an online store is often through ecommerce website builders. The use of free, open-source platforms is appealing, but the cost of hosting, themes, plug-ins, and even assistance from a developer if you have certain requirements might raise your overall expenditure.
Common costs for ecommerce websites
- Payment processing
- Ecommerce web design costs
- Custom development
- Add-on and extension
- Business costs
- Total costs of an ecommerce website
Prices for website hosting can range from as little as $2.49 per month to as much as $1,000 or more. The price varies depending on a number of variables, including how much business your store receives and any other services you might require, such automated backups.
To keep its files, every website needs hosting. You'll also require a domain name, which functions as the address online for your e-commerce business.
There are two kinds of hosting that e-commerce companies frequently employ:
Hosting for SaaS e-commerce platforms
Shopify and other e-commerce platforms don't require you to set up, maintain, or host a domain on your own. Your monthly subscription cost covers all you require.
Every Shopify subscription provides secure hosting, which includes:
- You won't have to worry about paying more if there is more traffic because there is unlimited bandwidth.
- Level 1 PCI compliance ensures the security of client data.
- Instant updates and lightning-fast servers ensure that you never miss out on the newest features.
- an SSL certificate to deter fraud and increase customer confidence
- Unlimited email forwarding and a dependable content management system for your website
Only a domain name needs to be purchased and registered independently. You can find available domains through Shopify’s domain name generator and start your ecommerce business fast.A self-hosted online store
Some e-commerce website builders, including Magento and WooCommerce (a WordPress plug-in), are cost-free. However, in order to handle your files and buy a domain, you must have an account with an e-commerce hosting company.
When self-hosting your website, you'll pay expenses like:
- A hosting plan for online stores costs $7.99 per month.
- A domain name may be purchased for about $14.99 a year.
- An SSL certificate costs at least $69 a year.
Some web providers, like Bluehost, charge $2.75 per month for services that include an SSL certificate and a free domain name.
The only negative is that you'll have to change your hosting package when your e-commerce shop expands to handle the increased traffic. If a high-volume situation developsPayment processing
A business called a payment processor oversees transactions so customers can purchase your goods. To accept payments from credit cards, debit cards, and other smart pay alternatives, every online store has to have one.
Costs associated with processing payments vary depending on the e-commerce platform plan you have. For instance, the Shopify Basic plan charges 2.9% + 30 per transaction as a processing fee for online credit card purchases. The cost of the Advanced Shopify plan is 2.4%. The cost is less if you accept payments in person because there is less chance of fraud. Shopify costs
Shopify Payments is a feature included with every Shopify plan that enables you to launch a store straight immediately. Once Shopify Payments is activated, you can accept credit cards and other widely usedCosts of e-commerce website design
Did you know that a person forms an opinion about your website in roughly 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds)? Additionally, consumers make purchases depending on their level of trust, which your branding may start to foster right immediately. Shopify and other e-commerce systems offer themes that you can easily use on your website. They are a quick and inexpensive method to begin going. Built-in customization capabilities are available in Shopify Themes for layout, color, style, and other parameters.All the materials you need to launch your store are included in these templates:
- Product pages
- Shopping cart
- Checkout page
- About pages
To assist you in choosing the ideal appearance and feel for your store, Shopify Themes provides over 100 free and premium themes. You can find themes based on categories like video and 3D products, big imagery, large inventories, minimalist style, fun and lively, and more.
Total costs of an ecommerce website
Pricing for e-commerce websites varies depending on a number of variables, including design, customisation, and the platform you select.
An outline of the calculation for developing an e-commerce website is shown below:
- Domain registration costs $10 to $30 per year.
- Web hosting costs $5 to $250 per month, depending on the hosting package and company.
- SSL certificate costs somewhere between $0 (free with some hosting providers) and $200 per year.
- e-commerce system: Open-source (PrestaShop, Magento, or WooCommerce): Downloading is free, however some add-ons, plugins, and themes could cost money.
- Based on the plan and features, hosted solutions (Shopify, BigCommerce, or Wix) range in price from $20 to $300 a month.
- Themes already created: 0–200 - Depending on the complexity, features, and functionality required, custom design and development might cost between $2,000 and $20,000.
- Additional expenses -
Fees for payment gateways: depends on the provider (PayPal, Stripe, Shop Pay); varies and transaction volume
Digital marketing and advertising: Varies depending on the budget and strategy
Website maintenance and support: Varies based on the degree of support required